Cześć! Are you hungry? Then let’s make bigos! Bigos is a type of stew that is traditionally eaten in many countries throughout Europe. Typically bigos consists of white cabbage, sauerkraut, various cuts of meat, often whole or puréed tomatoes, onions, and carrots. It’s a tasty dish but unfortunately it contains meat! That’s gross, so let’s veganize it! Please enjoy this Polish, vegan bigos recipe and share it with your friends!
–1 yellow onion
–tons of sauerkraut (3-4 cups)
–Earthbalance (or comparable vegan margarine)
1. Separate your sauerkraut from its liquid and place the liquid to the side. In a large pot, coat the bottom with oil, turn the heat to medium and toss in the sauerkraut. Stir occasionally.
2. Dice your onions, grate your carrots, and chop up your fake meat.
3. In separate skillets, fry the carrots, onions, and meat in some oil. The carrots should start to turn brown and then add them to the sauerkraut. The onions should be translucent and then you can add them to the pot with the carrots and sauerkraut. Lastly fry the meet until slightly crispy and toss it in with the rest.
4. In a clean skillet, brown some flour (4-5 tablespoons). Once the flour is beginning to brown, add a few globes of earth balance. Add this mixture to the pot of ingredients.
5. Mix it all up and add a couple spoonfuls of tomato paste and some black pepper to taste. If it’s not sour enough to your liking, then add some of the sauerkraut liquid. Mix, mix, mix and serve immediately.
Bigos are best served warm, with mashed potatoes or rye bread. Oh yea, don’t forget the vodka! Na zdrowie!